Popsicle, Lock & Drop It

P1040216

At first I thought I didn’t have much of a story for this recipe, but then I remembered what happened the first time I made these yummy margarita popsicles. It was a hot summer day, and after spending an hour hand-juicing some limes, I went outside to relax by the pool. Fast forward two days and I woke up with red splotchy spots all over both of my hands. At first I thought it was a sunburn because it looked and felt exactly like one, but I did think it seemed unlikely that I would’ve only gotten burnt on my hands. The next day, the splotchy spots had become raised and bumpy, and I will spare you the rest of the graphic details but just imagine that it got progressively worse. After a trip to the dermatologist I found out that I had phytophotodermatitis, also known as “lime disease” or “margarita dermatitis” (thanks Wikipedia). Apparently there’s a reaction caused by lime juice and a few other substances that makes skin hypersensitive to ultraviolet light, and essentially causes chemical burns (thanks again, Wikipedia). There’s not much you can do for it except apply steroid cream and wait for it to go away on its own. Luckily what I had wasn’t that bad, but it still took about 6-8 months before my hands looked totally normal again. So, heed my warning and be very careful, wash your hands, or just do not go out in the sun after making these! And now, on to the pops. Continue reading