Sometimes, I like to branch out and do something wild and crazy like bake something that doesn’t involve chocolate (Full disclosure: In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a chocolate fiend. If I only baked for myself, it would be all chocolate all the time). Fortunately for my family and friends (and my health), I like to bake for the common good and a few weeks ago that resulted in these admittedly delicious Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars by Lauren’s Latest. They basically consist of sugar, topped with sugar, and decorated with rainbow sugar.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it takes a classic dessert and puts it in bar form, so it’s great to serve at events where people might have their hands full with let’s say…. red cups. A really valuable thing I’ve learned after baking for so many parties is that people who are standing around with beverages are much more likely to eat something that is mess-free and does not require a plate, fork, or even a napkin. That makes any kind of brownies, bars, cookies, or bite size treats ideal. I made these Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars for a friend’s birthday a few weeks ago, wrote happy birthday on it in frosting, and it was a smashing success. Also, these bars are VERY easy to make and can be made even easier and in less time if you use store-bought frosting (but, don’t).
To begin, combine butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
Then mix in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt until just incorporated, which I don’t have a picture of. And then mix in the sprinkles and you’re done! That’s it!! That funfetti cookie dough tho…
Then spread the dough evenly in a prepared 9×13″ dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. This baked perfectly for me in about 24 minutes and it was really easy to tell when it was done.
Once it has cooled completely, you either make this ridiculously amazing buttercream frosting (highly recommended) or pop open a can, and frost away. Decorate with sprinkles or colored frosting!
Also, I finally figured out how to format my recipes in a box and make them all nice and pretty. Only took 6 months…
Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sprinkles (plus additional for decorating)
- 1/2 batch of my favorite Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar on low speed until combined and then mix on medium-high speed for another 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg and vanilla on medium-high until well combined.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt on low-medium speed until just incorporated.
- Using a spoon or spatula, mix in sprinkles.
- Spread dough evenly in prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. The center will look slightly undercooked.
- Frost with your frosting of choice, or with half a batch of my favorite Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Decorate with additional sprinkles on top.
(recipe adapted from Lauren’s Latest)